Choosing The Right Cylinder Size For You!
What size cylinder suits me?
If you are already running an older low or mains pressure cylinder, then it often makes sense to replace with another cylinder. I guess it all depends on the size of your family, your budget or if trying a more sustainable option is something you want to consider.
The basics of working out your cylinder size come down to very simple questions:
- What is the capacity of your current cylinder?
- Do you occasionally run out of hot water?
- How many people live in the house?
- How many people could live in the house?
What is the capacity of your current cylinder?
If you can find your cylinder, then you should see a large sticker or badge that says the capacity in litres, e.g. 180L or 300L.
Do you occasional run out of hot water?
If this happens, then you most likely need a new cylinder, BUT, it might be worth having someone check your element and thermostat and even talking to your power company to make sure you are not on night time power rate (only heats at night) and then everyone uses a small cylinder in the morning.
How many people live in the house?
The most important and easy rule of thumb is basing your hot water cylinder size on the number of people living in the house. E.g. your average 4 person household uses 250litres of hot water per day.
- 1 person = 100 LP or 160 MP
- 2 Person – 140 LP or 200 MP
- 3 person – 160 LP or 220 MP
- 4 Person – 170 LP or 230 MP
- 5 Person – 200 LP or 260 MP
- 6 Person – 220 LP or 280 MP
- 7 Person – 250 LP or 300 MP
- 8 Person – 275 LP or 300 MP
How many people could live in the house?
It is worth considering re-sale of your home. If you have a 4 bedroom home it is a real turn off to find a 180L cylinder. By all means, get the size right for you needs now, but balance that with being fit for purpose for the future.
Just as heat pumps are the most efficient way to heat your house, the hot water heat pump is the most efficient heat way to heat water. For this reason we recommend a stainless, solar/heat pump ready cylinder so you can easily add a hot water heat pump or solar panels now or in the future.
Both solar hot water and heat pumps help homeowners to save money and lower their carbon footprint. But if you’re looking for a more convenient, low-maintenance option, heat pumps usually offer a better deal:
Solar Hot Water systems can still heat on overcast days, but they do work best in direct sunlight and often need an electric or gas booster in inclement weather and at night and it can be up to 50% more expensive in upfront costs, than a heat pump.
Whereas, a Hot Water Heat Pump will heat your water in any weather, any time of the day or night (allowing you to take advantage of off-peak tariffs). They also have lower piping costs (heat pump and tank need no sunlight and so can be placed more flexibly) and are easily sheltered from harmful weather.
Christchurch Hot Water Cylinder Specialists
Stiebel Eltron 300L Hot Water Heat Pump 690-1921mm$4,900.00
Stiebel Eltron 300L Hot Water Heat Pump 690-1921mm
- German engineered, designed for New Zealand conditions
- Market leader in heat pump technology since 1976
- Suitable for hard or soft water areas with maintenance free current impressed anode
- Can be installed outdoors or indoors, indoor installation requires 13m3 of clear space
- Single piece design for ease of installation
- Active defrost function to assist operations in cold climates
- Operates in cold climates down to minus 5°C
- Energy efficient operation saves up to 74% on hot water energy use*
- Low power draw at only 2.3 Amps
- Can operate on extended off-peak power and timers where available
Rheem 300L Mains Pressure Cylinder 580x1850mm$1,795.00
Designed and assembled in New Zealand for New Zealand conditions. With its colourbond jacket, this range is a great solution for both indoor and outdoor installation. Able to connect to a range of Heat Pump and Solar technologies including direct/indirect or top down external heat sources.
- 300 Litres
- 580 x 1850mm
- Indoor and Outdoor Installation
Peter Cocks 180L Mains Pressure Cylinder 560x1295mm$1,195.00
MAINS PRESSURE HOT WATER CYLINDERS Silver Bullet Duplex Stainless Steel mains pressure cylinders are manufactured to meet New Zealand minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) and are independently approved to deliver optimum water temperature and sustained performance. 180L STD 560mm wide x 1295mm high 3kw Titanium element Call Now 03 660 0355 Enquire Now