Life Expectancy of Hot Water Cylinders Drastically Reduced in Christchurch!
Avoid the Surprise - Get Your Hot Water Cylinder Check Today from the Hot Water Shop!
Between June 2018 and September 2018, it was reported that over 2,000 copper hot water cylinders all failed under unusual circumstances and had to be replaced in the Christchurch region. With all the failures linked to abnormal faults, an investigation was launched by Superheat to find the cause of the growing problem with the city’s water.
Pitting corrosion was quickly discovered across copper hot water cylinders, all from different manufacturers, with a build-up of chlorine being found present in all of the pitts that lead to the leaks – which caused the failures. While pitting corrosions of hot water cylinders and domestic water pipes are quite common and difficult to predict, after studying the prematurely failing copper cylinders in question, the engineers taking the investigation were able to conclude that the failures were due to an excess of chlorine not previously found in Christchurch water.
The Superheat study took 4 hot water cylinders that had failed from the area and had them methodically examined, the findings listed below
- Each cylinder failed due to leaks caused by pitting erosion;
- Each cylinder had multiple corrosion pits;
- The pits are wide or hemispherical, or wider than they are deep, surrounded by corrosion products;
- No differences in pitting behaviour was found between any of the four cylinders;
- The pitting most often occurred in regions with the locations of largest sediment deposits;
- EDS analysis detected chlorine in the corrosion products of all pitting sites;
- Chlorine was not detected on surfaces at locations other than pits;
- EDS analysis showed the precenceof iron-oxide in corrosion produces in all eight sites, which can be seen as an orange/brown substance in stereo-optical microscopy images.
This is where the Hot Water Shop can help alleviate your fears about the quality of your current hot water cylinder. If you are in Christchurch, The Hot Water Shop has a limited time offer to get your cylinder checked to look for signs of damage that could lead to leaks and failures.
They are offering a thorough Hot Water Cylinder Check for just $95 inc GST. Don’t let leaks and failures creep up on you.
Get in touch today and we will help you get more life out of your cylinder.
Your local Hot Water System Specialists
Stiebel Eltron 300L Hot Water Heat Pump 690-1921mm$4,900.00
- German engineered, designed for New Zealand conditions
- Market leader in heat pump technology since 1976
- Suitable for hard or soft water areas with maintenance free current impressed anode
- Can be installed outdoors or indoors, indoor installation requires 13m3 of clear space
- Single piece design for ease of installation
- Active defrost function to assist operations in cold climates
- Operates in cold climates down to minus 5°C
- Energy efficient operation saves up to 74% on hot water energy use*
- Low power draw at only 2.3 Amps
- Can operate on extended off-peak power and timers where available
Rheem 300l Mains Pressure Hot Water Cylinder 580x1850mm$1,795.00
Designed and assembled in New Zealand for New Zealand conditions. With its colourbond jacket, this range is a great solution for both indoor and outdoor installation. Able to connect to a range of Heat Pump and Solar technologies including direct/indirect or top down external heat sources.
- 300 Litres
- 580 x 1850mm
- Indoor and Outdoor Installation
Peter Cocks 180L Mains Pressure Cylinder 560x1295mm$1,195.00
MAINS PRESSURE HOT WATER CYLINDERS Silver Bullet Duplex Stainless Steel mains pressure cylinders are manufactured to meet New Zealand minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) and are independently approved to deliver optimum water temperature and sustained performance. 180L STD 560mm wide x 1295mm high 3kw Titanium element Call Now 0800 475 012Enquire Now